The climate of Pakistan is generally characterized by hot summers and cool or cold winters. Pakistan’s climate is a continental type of climate, characterized by extreme variations in temperature, both seasonally and daily, because it is located on a great landmass north of the Tropic of Cancer.
Pakistan has four main seasons
- a cool, dry winter from November through March. Fog occurs during the winter season and remains for weeks in upper Sindh, Central Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Punjab.
- a hot, dry spring from March through May.
- Summer from April to July. Dust storms occur during summer months with peak in May and June.
- Themonsoon period, from July through September. Tropical Storms usually form during the summer months from late April till June and then from late September till November.
Very high altitudes modify the climate in the cold, snow-covered northern mountains; temperatures on the Balochistan plateau are somewhat higher.
Along the coastal strip in the southern region of the country, the climate is modified by sea breeze. In the rest of the country, temperatures reach great heights in the summer.
- Mean temperature during June is 38 °C (100 °F) in the plains.
- The highest temperatures can exceed 47 °C (117 °F).
- The dry, hot weather is broken occasionally by dust storms and thunderstorms that temporarily lower the temperature.
- Winters are cold, with minimum mean temperatures of about 4 °C (39 °F) in January, and sub-zero temperatures in the far north and Balochistan.
Best Time to visit Pakistan
The best time to visit central and southern Pakistan is winter, from December to February. You can visit the northernmost lowland area from November to March, and if you want, you can avoid the coldest months, choosing March and November.
For the north side, in the high mountain areas of the Hindu Kush and the Karakoram, you may prefer the summer, from June to September.
Arabian sea located along the southern belt of the country is warm enough to swim in throughout the year. However, given that the air temperature can be a bit cool from December to February, the best months to go to the beach are March and November.